International Colloquium On Women’s Empowerment, Leadership Development, International Peace And Security in Liberia, 7-9 March
WACSI has been nominated as a technical partner of the International Colloquium on Women’s Empowerment, Leadership Development, International Peace And Security in Liberia. The International Colloquium will be held in Monrovia, Liberia March 7-8 2009 to coincide with International Women's Day on March 8.
The theme of the Colloquium is Women's Empowerment,Leadership Development, International Peace and Security. The Colloquium will empower women to be more effective leaders by linking with their peers from around the world. We expect that among the participants will be female leaders at various levels including Heads of State and Government and Ministers as well as female business and NGO leaders.
The Colloquium will consider concrete action for empowerment of women in development. It will give consideration to measures aimed at achieving Millennium Development Goal 3 on Gender Equality and Women's Empowerment. Discussions of the Colloquium will be inspired by UN Security Council Resolution 1325, adopted on October 31, 2000, which calls for women's participation in conflict prevention, peacekeeping, conflict resolution and peace building as activists pursuing peace and security.
The Colloquium will also consider gender and climate change issues with the aim of strengthening women's participation in sustainable development, creating sustainable livelihoods in rural areas,protecting the environment and natural resources, and addressing climate change. The following main goals will frame the Colloquium discussions:
1. Empowering women to be more effective leaders by linking with their international peers to share best practices;
2. Supporting the implementation of UN Security Council Resolution 1325;
3. Contributing to the achievement of Millennium Development Goal 3 (MDG3) on gender equality and women's empowerment;
4. Demonstrating the clear gender dimensions of climate change, environment protection and sustainable development; and
5. Launching the Angie Brooks International Centre on Women's Empowerment, Leadership Development, International Peace and Security in Monrovia. This Centre will support the implementation of action emerging from the Colloquium through, inter alia, training and research. The program of the Colloquium will include both plenary sessions and workshops on these themes
Further information on the program and logistics will be provided in due course by the Colloquium Manager, Cllr. Yvette Chesson-Wureh (email: firstname.lastname@example.org). or Visit: www.womenscolloquium.org