Vacancy Position Administrative and Finance Officer-WACSOF
Duty Station: Abuja, Nigeria
Reporting to: General Secretary, WACSOF
Expected Start Date: April 2017
Application deadline: March 17th, 2017
The West African Civil Society Forum (WACSOF) is a platform for the aggregation of civil society agency, interests, and interventions across the 15 states of West Africa. It was founded in 2003 with the sole purpose of channelling civil society energies towards complimenting the regional integration and development agenda of the ECOWAS ‘System’ Institutions. (www.wacsof.net)
About the Position
In order to ensure prudent and rational management the administrative service and of the resources made available to the Forum, WACSOF is seeking to hire the services of an Administrative and Finance Officer with a high level of integrity, a competent and self-driven person.
This position will be based at WACSOF Secretariat, located in Abuja, Nigeria. S/he will report directly to the General Secretary of WACSOF. WACSOF looks at two basic areas when hiring a Finance Officer including Administrative and Finance Support.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Administrative and Finance Officer will be responsible for maintaining financial, accounting, administrative and personnel services in order to meet WACSOF’s requirements and support its activities.
Besides any other task assigned by the General Secretary, the Finance Officer will be responsible for:
1. Preparing financial statements, maintaining cash controls, preparing the payroll and personnel administration, purchasing, and maintaining accounts payable and managing office operations;
2. Ensuring full cooperation and coordination with relevant stakeholders in the area of financial management, accounting, and audit;
3. Ensuring that WACSOF’s resources are managed in line with laid down financial management procedures;
4. Keeping track of donor financial reporting needs in accordance with a prescribed reporting schedule;
5. Ensuring that all financial data are regularly backed up to avoid data loss;
6. Undertaking financial and cost-benefit analysis for different activities;
7. Undertaking and completing tasks relating to disbursement requests according to the regulations/procedures of the Donors;
8. Providing other financial reports as may be required by the General Secretary and/or the Executive Committee.
1. Establish and maintain a comprehensive filing system for all administrative, financial and human resource related issues.
2. Manage the procurement process for office supplies. This involves overseeing the whole process of vendor selection, purchasing, delivery and payments and ensuring procurements fall within the approved budget and authorisation limits.
3. Oversee the management and maintenance of all office equipment and maintain a conducive physical work environment.
4. Assist with visa applications and other travel related administrative procedures.
5. Supervise all administrative tasks on store management, petty cash control, inventory control, generator and vehicle maintenance and other daily routine administrative tasks including office security and cleaning.
6. Prepare monthly and annual reports to WACSOF’s General Secretary on administrative
challenges, progress and solutions.
1. Review all invoices for accuracy prior to submitting them for approval to the WACSOF General Secretary.
2. Review all WACSOF related travel requests and calculate advances prior to submitting them for approval to WACSOF General Secretary and ensure all staff advances are accounted for on completion of travel.
3. Ensure that payments are only made against approved budgets, and any exceptions are reported immediately to the WACSOF General Secretary’s prior approval.
4. Ensure that the organisation’s accounting systems fully comply with local laws and regulations and any changes in local laws are reported immediately.
5. Maintain the highest professional standards of the organisation in terms of quality and reliability of the organisation’s financial records.
6. Review and prepare monthly financial reports and ensure that all balances are accurate before reporting.
7. Support in the internal and external audit of WACSOF.
8. Be the direct liaison point with the Bank and WACSOF on finance related matters.
9. Maintain the asset, cash and subsidy register.
Qualifications / Experience / Skills
To be considered for this position, the applicant MUST satisfy the following requirements:
1. Advanced university degree (Minimum of Bachelor’s degree) from a recognised University
preferably in Accounting or Finance, and Business Administration;
2. Three (3) to five (5) years relevant experience working in a similar position within a reputable organisation.
3. A solid knowledge of accounting systems, financial software, budgeting and strategic financial
planning is also required
4. Fluency in at least two languages of ECOWAS region (a working knowledge of a third will be an added advantage);
5. Strong leadership, oral and written communication skills - use of simple and clear language;
6. Ability to work in a team (strong task management and team leading competencies);
7. Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals in a professional and service-oriented manner;
8. Display cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
9. Possess good work ethic, agility, resilience, honesty, integrity and strong interpersonal skills ;
10. Citizen of an ECOWAS Member State who is in sound health and has the ability to work under pressure in a cross-cultural & complex environment, and willing to travel within West Africa.
11. Hands-on experience in managing multiple partners funds for simultaneous projects;
12. Previous experience in the Civil Society sector is an asset.
13. Below forty (40) years old.
Key Working Relationships
-Internal: Management Team
-External: ECOWAS Commission and other statutory bodies of the community, Nigerian Government, Development partners and Civil Society Organisations from across West Africa.
Terms of Appointment
The Administrative and Finance Officer will be employed for an initial period of one (1) year renewable, including a 3-month performance-based probation and subject to consecutive annual performance
reviews and funding availability. This position is open to ECOWAS nationals only.
The remuneration for this position will be on the basis of the candidate’s experience.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit letters of application, by quoting the subject of the email REF: ‘WACSOF Administrative and Finance Officer Position’, accompanied by a comprehensive up-to-date CV to the Secretariat of WACSOF at email@example.com.
N.B Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Application received after the deadline will not be considered. WACSOF is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks candidates from a diverse background.